Friday, October 3, 2008

elevensies...

1. The arrival of Wes, one of my old friends from NY. It'll be his first visit to the West Coast, which is going to be amazing. I'm excited to show him all the Bay Area has to offer...not really possible in a week, but it'll give him a small taste. And I just really like picking people up at the airport. I guess it's because I get to welcome them from the get-go and set the proper tone for their adventure.

2. Fig Cashew Smoothies my favorite breakfast these days. I know I mentioned this in my ode to figs, but it's truly worthy of it's own blessing. I love the way the fig taste lingers on. I love that I live somewhere where fig season last from May until December.

3. Love Fest. I probably won't get to blog this weekend because of this & a day trip to Pt. Reyes, so I'll give thanks for this now. It's one of my favorite annual SF events and I always have a great time dancing in the streets in front of city hall, meeting great people, and listening to breaks, dubstep and old school jungle. There's something for everyone there. It's basically like the Berlin Love Parade, but a tad smaller, and they had to change the name. Fun fun! Here are some photos from last year's debauchery.

4. Less of a need for sleep. The more raw I become, the more energy I have and the less sleep I need. Those that know me well, know that I love the peaceful solitude mornings, but unfortunately have a really rough time getting up to enjoy them and am usually slow and bogged down early in the morning. This has been a problem since high school and I used to need to sleep anywhere between 8-12 hours (12 only during the darkest depressions), except for when I would go through manic phases, during which I only needed 4-5 hours a night for a few months straight and would be frantically running around high as a kite, so it wasn't really a good stable and rested feeling. Right now I'm at about 6.5 hours most nights and feeling really good, stable, alert, calm and energetic. I've heard some people who are raw awhile only need 4 hours. Imagine all the things I could get done and all the extra lounging around I could do outside.

5. The VP debate was hilarious. As was the Palin flow chart I saw this morning. Pretty spot on.

6. The energy I get from plants. I know I always felt this energetic connection to nature, but ever since I've gone raw, it has grown exponentially, just when I thought it couldn't get any deeper. That's true abundance. It's fascinating - now when I sit around a lot of trees and meditate, I can feel the individual molecules, and sometimes see them moving around. It's hard to explain without sounding crazy, but it's true. I just sat at my little island during lunch, and what I experienced was amazing.

7. BhangraFest. Dholrhythms, the people responsible for my favorite monthly Bhangra party, are throwing their first annual Bhangra Festival. It will consist of a series of free classes, workshops and performances, along with other events. I heart Bhangra. It's one of the most energetic forms of music ever.

8. Getting Fired is priceless. I know it seems odd to be grateful for losing something, but I had a huge ear to ear grin when they told me. Any time I have lost something in the past, what I gained from that loss in growth was so much more valuable. I am so glad I will not have to deal with my boss and his negativity & verbal abuse anymore. Work was so draining, stressful, emotionally taxing, degrading and getting out of bed every day was becoming a huge struggle, which left me with little energy to pursue the things that really matter. They basically granted me my freedom. I am extremely thankful, and know that this is for the best because now I don't have to tolerate being treated that way. And most importantly, now I can focus my time and energy on feeling good about being alive, doing healing work, and pursuing my raw foods business and art, which is what I am meant to be doing anyway. It's true - there is no way to not end up exactly where you need to be. Life will keep presenting you with the gifts you need until you learn how to stop viewing them as disasters and accept them for the blessings they are.

9. My sister. I know I counted family on here before, but this one is specific. I just feel incredibly blessed to see how her life has been transforming these past few months. She's been wanting change for awhile now, and she knew she needed it, even though it took a little longer for things to come together. When they finally did, it allowed her to blossom more into herself and who she is becoming right now is so wonderful and I'm really enjoying seeing who she becomes each day.

10. Supportive networks are so important! Thank you to everyone who is lending their support and positive energy to help me manifest this next chapter in my life as I forge forward with my own business plans. And thank you to everyone who was there for me every time I had a huge issue at work with my boss and was hysterically sobbing about it and needed to vent so I wouldn't explode. I wouldn't have lasted as long as I did without all of you. Your words gave me strength to keep pushing and fighting for what is right.

11. Broken glass looks pretty. Especially if it's mirrored. Even as a child, I was fascinated by it, and loved the sound of it shattering.

12. Laughter is really amazing and beautiful. I've spent the last 5 hours laughing, giggling, and marveling out how life presents us with exactly what we need, when we need it.

13. Time. As I look at the list of things I've been feeling the need to do this past week, I remember several times where I thought how easy it is to do all those things - all I need is more time. Time to read more raw books, time to blog more, time to market my abilities, time to do anything but waste time doing something I don't love. And then today I was granted my wish. So here's to the blessing of having time to do all the things I need to do to make what happens next happen now.

14. A simpler life is what I was seeking, and now it is what I am creating. Looking back at my life in NYC 3 years ago, and how much has changed for the better. I am in control now. Fate really is elastic - you just have to really believe it to find the strength to stretch it in the right direction.

15. Herbivore's Green Juice is a mix of celery, apple, spinach, parsley, mint, ginger, lime, and spirulina made fresh with the perfect balance of each ingredient to totally satisfy me. It's about to be my late and refreshing dinner.

16. Ana & Eva who are growing up to be such amazing, intelligent, beautiful young women. I still remember them being 4 years old in the Metropolitan Museum of Art asking me about God and now they're in High School talking to me about boys. Ha ha. I love it. I will see them again soon.

17. Biljana for being the most marvelous cousin a girl could ask for. She's so full of love. Just pure love. All the time. She's always there for me and lends support, wisdom and patience. She's so beautiful, inside and out, so talented. She's raised Ana & Eva to be such amazing creatures, and seeing her relationship with Matthew is one of my prime examples of why I believe in soul mates and finding the one. They give me such hope for what is to come in my life.

18. Lists. I have just written a very productive one for this next week and each little piece plays a part in something bigger. Once I have crossed off each item, I will be left with something incredible.

19. harman/kardon for making the beautifully designed SoundSticks I purchased in 2000. Not only are they absolutely gorgeous to look at, but they still sound amazing (even with one speaker) and that subwoofer...it's mind blowing. I honestly would not be as productive as I am without them.

20. High Fidelity for being one of the most quotable movies ever.

21. Today is the best day ever.

No comments: