Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Dia Nueve...

1. Calling out of work. Even though I feel kind of icky still, I love sleeping in, and being able to spend the day at home working on my own stuff, cleaning, doing laundry and running errands. It's like an extra Sunday in the middle of the week.

2. Digital Mystikz. Their track entitled "Unexpected" has the most soothing bass lines ever and bass is what I need to feel better. Check out the "Dupstep Warz" mix too. Mmmmm...healing vibrations.

3. Laura Bruno. This is from the Petaluma Raw group:
"In 1998, Laura Bruno suffered a traumatic brain injury (TBI) that lowered her IQ by almost 50 points and kept her totally disabled for four years. Despite medical doctors declaring her “permanently disabled,” Laura managed to make a full recovery and now uses her experience to help injured, ill and even “healthy” people improve their awareness and increase quality of life."

I'm still amazed at all the successful alternative healing I come across every day. I'll definitely be reading up on her more soon.

4. Tanya is one of my dearest friends in San Francisco and she spent a year traversing the globe before moving here. Listening to her tales of adventure is so inspiring and keeps me learning about new places to add to my ever growing must see list.

5. We Like It Raw. This is without a doubt, my favorite raw food blog & community. I've learned so much through this site, and connected with a lot of really amazing people over the past few months.

6. Dr. Alejandro Junger. This interview I listened to today from We Like It Raw was extremely inspiring. His story of all he went through to get to where he is now is just really fascinating. Sometimes the journey is long and hard, but it's always worth it.

7. Strawberries. Not too many weeks left for fresh local berries at the farmer's market, so I bought 1/2 a flat and have been making various smoothies all week. Strawberry agave cashew, strawberry almond milk cacao banana, and even some fresh strawberry lemonade. Yum.

8. Zach. How does one person have so much energy? I'm envious. He's a great friend to have, a talented reiki healer, amazing conversationalist, eternally positive person, he possesses a passion and enthusiasm for all things in life, and for someone so young, he understands so much about life that a lot of people twice his age don't. I'm very thankful to have gotten to know him over the past several months.

9. Ryan McGinness is one of the greatest graphic designers on the planet. I finally framed and hung up the print I got from his 'Worlds Within Worlds' exhibit at Deitch in 2003 and now every day is better. So many intricate details to take in and explore...I love the beauty and complexity of his work. I met him some years ago at Printed Matter, and he was such a charming, humble guy.

10. Printed Matter deserves it own post. It is the world's largest non-profit organization dedicated to the promotion of publications made by artists
and has one of the most amazing collections of art books you'll ever see. They also publish larger editions of art books. Next time you're in Manhattan, check them out. I used to spend a lot of time there getting inspiration and motivation for my own work.

11. Amoeba is insane. I've been to tons of music stores all over the planet, and this one is by far the greatest. It's an old bowling alley converted into aisle upon aisle of CDs, records and other music paraphernalia. They have a wall of old 45s that makes me drool.

12. Cafe La Vie is my favorite local cafe. They make the best chai in town, the vibe is so chill and laid back, the people who work there are great, and George, the owner, is a really great guy and tries to help some of the people in the community who need help.

13. Kurt Vonnegut has just made my life better in so many ways. Besides the obvious reasons why I love his books, I also really love this framed photo I took of a wheat paste on Bowery St NYC back in the late 90s. It was one of his quotes and says,"Music for me is proof of the existence of God." It's been hanging on the wall of every apartment I've had since I printed it.

14. Juan Doe. I met this guy at open studios in 5 Pointz back in 2004 and being the big Alfred Hitchcock/Flavor Flav fan that I am, I bought a print of his piece called 'Ace' from his American Sooku series. Apparently he has disappeared from the internet. I hope he's in hiding creating tons more amazing work.

15. Art Hanging. Today I am rearranging things on my walls, and hanging up a lot more art in my apartment that was waiting to be framed, which explains all these other individual blessings about artists. But in general, I just love doing this in all my apartments. Each piece on my wall has a history, and every time I hang things up, I can smile fondly at the memories I have created. My life has truly been a good one, and I have been blessed to experience many great things.

16. Hot Showers are one of the best parts of waking up.

17. Lavender Laundry Detergent for keeping it natural and fresh.

18. Avocados are by far one of my favorite foods. One day I will have a yard so I can plant some avocado trees.

19. Raw Lavender Pomegranate Cheesecake. I got a piece for like $2 as the Alive! booth was closing, and man was it delicious! I'd like to get my hands on the recipe so I can tweak it to perfection.

20. Lichens. Over the past 2 years I've become a bit obsessed with them. They're all over the place in nature, and every time I go hiking, I photograph them for the 'Art Imitates Life/Life Imitates Art' project I'm working on. I'm amazed at all the vibrant colours lichens can be, and am always overwhelmed by the beauty of things as they are reclaimed by nature. This is not a new theme in my work - it goes back to my earliest days of photography - but I've been really digging into it lately. So much so, that I brought some fluorescent yellow lichens and various colours of sulphur tinged soil back from Lassen with me and am using them to create some handmade work. I think my work is evolving more into works created from nature, which feels so natural (no pun intended) and right for me.

21. Olafur Eliasson. How can I talk about lichens and moss and works created from nature without giving gratitude to this man? I saw his 'Take Your Time' exhibit at the SF MoMA last year and it was absolutely incredible. His giant wall of moss and a lot of his photographs really inspired me. I can't wait to go to Iceland in June and see some of the things that have inspired him in real life.

No comments: