Thursday, October 9, 2008

14...

1. The smell of cilantro lingering on my fingertips for hours.

2. Raw ceviche is one of my favorite quick fix meals. Cube some portabella mushrooms, avocado & tomato, marinate in lots of fresh squeezed lime juice, a bit of garlic and tons of freshly chopped cilantro. I usually make it in a jar so I can keep shaking it or turning it over to let the juices coat everything evenly and let it sit for a few hours for fullest flavor.

3. Liah is awesome. She was kind enough to let me come over and pick her brain for an hour or so and discuss SEO stuff for my site, affiliate programs and some general blogging stuff. Definitely a very helpful information session.

4. Walking the Haight is oh so fun. I love all the crazy, funky shops, the cafes, the variety of humans, and the old spirit of the 60s lurking in the corners.

5. The Love of Ganesha is one of my favorite shops on the Haight. They have such beautiful skirts and jewelry, all of which are affordable, and the people are so sweet and always offer me a cup of tea.

6. Braindrops is another of my favorite shops on the Haight. It's a tattoo and piercing shop, and though I don't know how good their tattoo artists are, I am in love with their piercing staff and jewelry selection. They have some gorgeous pieces made of glass, wood, stone, and other mineralized & fossilized items, as well as some beautiful earrings made from antlers. I remember seeing a sign above their vintage pieces that said everything was made from old, found bone and animal items so nothing was hunted to create the jewelry, but am unsure if that applies to some of the newer pieces. I'll have to ask next time I'm in.

7. Watching the Muppet Movie in Dolores Park was tons of fun. I didn't remember all those Hare Krshna jokes from when I was a kid. Hilarious. Dolores Park Movie Night is one of my favorite free things to do here in the summer.

8. Cheb i Sabbah is one of my absolute favorite local DJs. He's from Algeria, but blends all sorts of global sounds, with a heavy influence on one of my personal favorites, classical Indian music. He does a Thursday night weekly party at Bollyhood Cafe that is always an interesting experience, whether packed or empty. I had a really great time there tonight, dancing, laughing and meeting new people.

9. New Friends. I just need to give a big thanks to all the new people who have come into my life recently. It's amazing what you can attract into your life when you make a conscious effort to cut ties with certain kinds of people and surround yourself with only those that push you to be your highest self and express your true nature. We're all on different paths, and my life would certainly not be the same if I was not surrounded by such amazing people who always challenge me and push me to be the best me.

10. Purging. In preperation for my raw foods blog and site, I have been spending a fair amount of time writing my personal story about my healing journey from the age of 15 to the present. It's been really cathartic to put the whole thing into words from start to finish. I am sure it will need tons of editing before I have a final draft ready, and I thank the friends who help me with that in advance. The outside perspective will be a big help.

11. Marble composition books are my favorite thing to write in. I like to keep it old school. There's just something about them.

12. Bic pens are for some reason my favorite. I have no idea why, but they're such a basic design, and whenever I use them my handwriting is always so much neater, and somehow the words flow much easier. Perhaps that last big is just psychological, or maybe the fact that it looks neater provides clarity of mind which allows the thoughts to flow more freely. Who knows, really? And does it even matter? I just like them.

13. Lemons smell so amazing. And they're used to flavor lots of raw foodie dishes, so I'm getting lots of vitamin C. And dare I mention the fresh strawberry lemonade I've been making? Mmmmm.

14. Planning for NY is exciting. I made my first trip back in over 2 years a few months ago, and it was weird because it had been a long time and I am so different, and so was it, yet eerily the same. First trips back to old homes are always a bit odd. I'm really excited to go this time though, for a whole myriad of reasons.

15. Autumn in New England is probably my favorite time of year back east, so the anticipation of walking through Central Park amongst the bright crimson, glowing oranges and blinding yellows has me going to bed smiling. I can't wait!

16. Agreements to be seen. Picking up the past and trying to find a place for it that is more current and in the present is always interesting when time has lapsed. I am not worried, as it feels right, but I am a bit curious about how things will play out.

17. Raw red pepper flax crackers are responsible for the delicious smells coming out of my kitchen. I can't wait until they're done dehydrating and I can eat one.

18. Making your own food is one of the best feelings. I've always cooked, even when I was a kid. But this new realm of making my own crackers, breads, granolas and everything is something else entirely. I'm making things that normally come in packages and are made in factories with tons of added chemicals, but not these - they're straight from my kitchen made of only the freshest, most beautiful ingredients I can find. I'm all about homesteading. Now if only I could afford some land!

19. Sticking to a normal sleep schedule even though I don't have a normal job anymore and am working from home on my own, much more meaningful projects is a wonderful and strange feeling. I'm learning to be more disciplined about this, and though years ago I would have frowned upon rising before 9am when I didn't have to be somewhere, I now really enjoy it. It helps that since going raw, I am no longer groggy and exhausted in the mornings and wake up happy and smiling.

20. Helping people plan trips is fun. I've gotten so much valuable experience from driving across America so many times, and it's great to share that information with travelers.

21. Heavy eyelids mean it's time to go to bed. I haven't been this tired in awhile. I got an exceptional amount of work done today.

No comments: