Saturday, December 25, 2010

forty-4

1. The earth-based origins of this holiday season. So many origins to why we celebrate this time of year in the first place - in ancient Babylon, today was the fest of the son of Isis (Goddess of Nature & Magic) & was full of celebration, feasting & gift-giving. Pagans burned the Yule log in worship of Mithras, the Sun God. The Druids used the tree as a religious symbol, holding their sacred ceremonies while surrounding and worshipping huge trees. Live evergreen trees were often brought into homes during winter as a reminder to inhabitants that soon their crops would grow again. Evergreen boughs were sometimes carried as totems of good luck and were often present at weddings, representing fertility. In 350, Pope Julius I declared that Christ’s birth would be celebrated on December 25. There is little doubt that he was trying to make it as easy as possible for pagan Romans (who remained a majority at that time) to convert to Christianity, without taking their feast days from them.

2. Random texts with Pagan references. I love having so many friends who just get it. :)

3. Native American Church songs always fill my heart with joy. I love walking the read road & am blessed to have this be a big part of my spiritual path.


4. Rain. It's the first time in years I've been rained out of my annual Christmas Day hike/feast, what has become my tradition of celebrating out in nature. But the rain is nourishing our eARTh, and the rainy season makes us that much more grateful when the sun shines again.

5. Candles are allowing me to make a backup plan & fill the house with light & have my own little ceremony of sorts as I stay dry & warm.

6. Mourning. Today I was thinking of my dear sweet teacher Durwin WhiteLightning who passed a little over a year ago. We just had a memorial tipi ceremony for him a few weeks ago & another layer of mourning has come to stir up my grief & sadness to be released & transformed into an open heart filled with gratitude for all he shared with us before he left this life. There is so much beauty in this process of honoring the dark emotions & all the treasure that is hidden down there.

7. Kaitiakitanga. This is the Maori concept that humans must be responsible guardians of the natural beauty surrounding us. I love this simple truth & all I am uncovering as I study their traditional culture in preparation for the New Zealand chapter of my life.

8. Envisioning the land I will one day own & live in community on feels so good & brings me closer to the reality on its way. I envision a biodynamic herb farm, a healing center, endless fields of lavender, a treehouse for me to dwell in, unique structures of all kinds - a beehive hut, a dome shaped sacred space for worshipping Oneness & all spiritualities. I am almost at the place to start sketching up some loose plans.

9. Treehouses. So magical. This dream I've had since I lived in NYC still lives in my heart & I know one day I will create it in my reality. I am very grateful that we get to co-create our lives as we want. Sleeping atop the tree protectors is such a beautiful thing.

10. Paid dog-sitting gigs are appearing to solve my housing situation & help me save money for herb school tuition. I am always being provided for - thank you, Universe.

11. Embracing the child within makes for a much easier, more magical adult life. Undo the programming, heal the wounds, get back to your dreams, your heart, your bliss, your awe - you will feel gratitude every single day, I promise.

12. Inspiration. Today I am feeling so inspired for music making. I love how this part of my life is growing - fiddle, unlocking my voice to restore it to its formal glory & the electronic part of creating - it's all so magical. I can't wait to see what unfolds when I am good enough at them all separately to put them together. I am grateful to be taking these next steps on my creative path.

13. Newness. Fully embracing all that is being released, letting the old go to make way for the new. This next year is going to be the best ever - I know it.

14. Yoga is the perfect indoor remedy to being rained out of my annual Christmas day hike. Yoga in front of the fireplace to be exact. Thank you, body for holding me in physical form. Oh, it feels so good to take care of you & love you in this way.

15. Fresh Spring Rolls fully of yummy raw veggies, dipped in peanut sauce. Fresh, clean lunch.

16. Cheri Huber for teaching me to have compassion for myself, no matter what. I have come back to her over & over again over the last few years. You can check her out here.

17. The perfection of us. We are all perfect exactly as we are - that is the truth. The illusion of separateness is dissolving on a global level & all of humanity is starting to remember that we are all one. It is such an exciting time to be alive.

18. Wind chimes in the breeze are such a sweet medicine on this day.

19. Heat. Grateful to be warm & comfortable on this wet, cold day.

20. Feather trees on the altar decorated with nature...definitely a beautiful, earthy twist on Christmas.

21. The heart. It is the only way, this way. Through, through, through. We all know it from birth, we are taught to go other ways, but this is the path that always leads us home no matter what.

No comments: